Disclosure: Sometimes I may receive a small commission on products sold through this site. Click here for more info. Thanks!
Learning landscape painting is a sound investment of your time and a great way to express your appreciation of nature. But like anything worth learning, it will take quite some time to really master it.
To be truly proficient in painting landscapes, you must have a solid understanding of fundamentals, especially lightning, perspective, and composition.
If you're a beginner in these matters and would like to learn all the various aspects and techniques of the trade, I would highly recommend you to look at Learn & Master Painting with Gayle Levee.
Video Tutorials:Here is a little advice for beginners - start simple. You can actually do some pretty impressive things with just a few simple techniques.
Take a look at the following landscape painting lessons from Wilson Bickford, a professional artist and art instructor from Northern New York. He offers some valuable advice and practical tips. Enjoy and be encouraged:
Painting A Sunset – part 1:
Painting A Sunset – part 2:
Painting CloudsClouds are an almost indispensable part of landscapes, but painting realistic clouds seems to be one of the bigger challenges, especially for beginners. If you want good results, it's important to learn the right techniques and apply them correctly.
Once you learn how to do it, you'll see it's not really that difficult.
- Don't try to copy everything exactly as you see it (or you might as well take a photo).
- Try to capture the essence of a landscape.
- Be selective, use the landscape as a reference and paint your own impression of it.
- Use your imagination.
- Establish the major components first, then focus on the details.
- To create an illusion of depth paint less detail in the background. Use less intense colors for distant objects and more intense for closer objects.
- Oil Painting For Beginners
What do you need in order to learn how to paint in oils? Although oil painting definitely is a difficult medium to master, getting started is relatively easy. Learn more...read more »
- Learn and Master Painting – 3 Things To Love
Trying to become a better painter? Then you'll love Learn & Master Painting. It might be one of the best painting courses ever created. Especially recommended for novices. ..read more »
- Oil Painting Tips For Beginners
Painting can seem quite daunting, especially to those who are just starting out. Here are some tips and tricks to help you move forward. Just remember – don't let others dictate how you're painting, take your time and be yourself...read more »